“the biggest theatrical phenomena of the last 15 years”The Herald
A Play, A Pie and A Pint is the wildly successful lunchtime theatre experience based at Òran Mór, Glasgow and touring throughout Scotland and beyond. It was launched in 2004 by theatre maverick and maker David MacLennan and its core principles have remained the same:
A new play at lunchtime every week lasting no more than an hour, accompanied by a pie and a pint.
“a bedrock of the Scottish theatre industry”The Guardian
With 32 brand-new plays a year as well as the Summer and Christmas pantomimes at Òran Mór, A Play, A Pie and A Pint is the most prolific producer of new writing in the UK and we have worked with incredible playwrights throughout the years as well as thousands of creatives to produce our shows.
As well as working with established playwrights, we also produce and advocate work from first-time and emerging writers. Our David MacLennan Award, dedicated to our late founder, is a bi-annual open writing competition with the winner having their play professionally produced for the first time.
“a major part of Scotland’s new playwriting landscape”The Scotsman
A Play, A Pie and A Pint works regularly in association with other theatre venues in Scotland to present our works to a wider audience, including the Traverse Theatre, Aberdeen Performing Arts, Ayr Gaiety, Dumfries & Galloway Arts Festival, Macrobert Arts Centre and Pitlochry Festival Theatre. Our acclaimed musical SCOTS with Noisemaker will also be featured at Tartan Week in New York.
Over the years the audiences have grown as the “lunchtime phenomenon” (The Guardian) has become established and the model has even been replicated across the globe.
“[PPP] has spread out worldwide to become a theatrical institution.”The List
2023 marks our 20th anniversary and to celebrate, we are publishing a book of 20 of our plays from the past twenty years. You can support our Crowdfunder here.
Awards and Commendations:
- WINNER: Best Production ‘The Signalman’ by Peter Arnott, CATS 2020
- WINNER: Best Male Performer – Tom McGovern ‘The Signalman’ CATS 2020
- WINNER Best New Play – Peter Arnott, ‘The Signalman’ CATS 2020
- Best Director (Nomination) – Ken Alexander ‘The Signalman’ CATS 2020
- WINNER: Special Contribution to Scottish Culture, The Herald Culture Awards 2019
- WINNER: Best Male Performance, John Michie ‘The Mack’ CATS 2019
- An Early Day Motion was tabled in the House of Commons in April 2019 recognising the achievement of A Play, a Pie and a Pint having produced 500 plays
- WINNER: The Cats Whiskers “For outstanding achievement for 250 plays in eight years”
- WINNER: The Stage 100: Producer of the Year, 2013
- WINNER: Inspiring City Awards: People Make Glasgow – Arts and Culture